In 1954, the DeAngelis family took ownership, not only of the company but also of the innovative approach to producing textiles that Frederick had long established within the company. Weaving was performed on shuttle looms in the early stages of the business with the introduction of much faster needle looms to our manufacturing process in the early 1960’s. Around that time, Murdock further expanded its product line by playing a vital role in developing the specifications for arresting tapes which are still followed today. These arresting tapes are used at modern day military installations around the world ensuring the safety of our military personnel. From the 60’s forward we have continued to expand our product line, including a number of acquisitions throughout the 70’s and 80’s, both within and outside of the textile industry. The majority of the non-textile assets were divested in the late 1980’s.
One of the integral acquisitions that remain with us today was the 1987 purchase of Phoenix Trimming Co. based in Tarboro, NC. In honor of the first generation DeAngelis ownership, the plant was then named John DeAngelis. In the early 2000’s, we further expanded our offerings by purchasing the assets of two Jacquard weaving facilities, Velcro Webbing (formerly Impact Textiles) from Fall River, MA and Bison Weaving from Longmont, CO. The equipment from these two acquisitions was relocated to our RI facility, giving us the largest domestic capacity for Jacquard narrow woven fabrics.
The introduction and utilization of Lean Manufacturing concepts for the last 5+ years and celebrating our 80th year of being in business in 2016 are some of the more recent milestones we have achieved. We look forward to building upon our strong foundation and desire for continuous improvement as we strive to be the best at providing textile solutions to our ever-expanding customer base.
1861January 1, 1861
Fales and Jenkes Machine Shop
Our building is built between 1861 and 1863 by Fales and Jenkes. It begins as a shop that manufactures ring spinning frames and Rabbeth self-centering spindles.
1866January 1, 1866
The A and W Sprague Company
The building was sold to the A and W Sprague Company. They produce linen until 1869 when they switch to print cloths for the duration of the company.
1885January 1, 1885
United States Cotton Company
The officers of the new firm are the direct descendants of the original owners. By 1917 the building housed 80 carders, 58,200 ring spindles and 1,600 looms.
1950’sJune 1, 1950
The DeAngelis Family becomes owner of Murdock Webbing
John DeAngelis becomes President of Murdock Webbing when Frederick Murdock retires. John DeAngelis was one of Murdock Webbing’s first employees after graduating from Rhode Island School of Design’s textile program in 1936.
1960January 1, 1960
Murdock starts manufacturing arresting tapes for domestic and global military bases.
An arresting tape is a mechanical system used to rapidly decelerate an aircraft as it lands.
Murdock Webbing purchases modern needle looms
Needle looms greatly improve and increase Murdock’s production capabilities.
1973January 1, 1973
Murdock buys Rockland Webbing Company
Rockland Webbing Company, located in Rockland, MA becomes a part of Murdock Webbing. Through Rockland Webbing’s product line, Murdock Webbing begins to manufacture elastics.